1/19/13

The Miserable

Last night Crystal, Jerrica and I went out to the movies and I finally got to see Les Mis. I had been waiting for it since I heard they were casting which was a year. When I heard the casting choices I was disappointed in some and excited for others. Hugh Jackman is amazing and I feel like he can do anything, but he was a little overshadowed by Anne Hathaway whom the world would not shut up about. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of her, but I feel like all I was constantly hearing was she was the lead and blah blah blah. If anyone knows even a summary of the story they would know that it is about and revolves around Jean Vajean....played by Hugh Jackman.

Anyway, I hate listening to reviews because I feel like it spoils my experience so I avoid them as much as I can.
After sitting through the film {which is like 3 hours long....this is why broadway has intermission O.o } I was able to finally say what I thought of it and that is that I really liked it. I didn't love it. I wouldn't pay to see it in theaters again. I might not buy it when it comes out but it was good. I did like it.
I'll be honest, I was skeptical of Anne Hathaway and she truly was great. I didn't know she could sing and she proved me wrong. I was impressed. {plus singing whilst sobbing...I would sound like a dying moose probably. Props to her}
I won't get too much into it, but as for Russell Crowe.....just....no. He tried, but....no. He didn't nearly do justice to the character of Javert, the passion was lacking and he didn't grasp it.
It's just hard for me to accept that they settled for him when there are many actors who could have blown that character out of the water.

Also, Amanda Seyfried did nothing for me. I've never loved Cosette but the fact that she was played by Amanda Seyfriend sort of doubled that. Not a fan of her or her voice.
And I'm sorry, but she will never be anything but Karen from Mean Girls to me. Half the time I expect her to say "if you're from Africa, why are you white?"

Hugh Jackman was great, he pulled off Jean Valjean well. I may be biased because I loves me some Hugh...but I personally think he was splendid.

Samantha Barks as Eponine was just great. Wish the role was bigger so I could have seen more of her. Glad that role didn't go to someone unworthy. {*cough*Taylor Swift}

Sasha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were such good comedic relief. They really made the role their own.

Everyone else was fine, I have no remarks on their performances and they did make some smart choices with some of the cast. Even some of the smaller parts were good.

That's really all I need to say about the film. Thought it was good, but I wasn't captivated.
{Also I didn't cry, but I don't tend to cry from movies anyway. Or very often at all....}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love <3